1. When interviewing moving companies, make sure they are insured and bonded.
2. Avoid used boxes if possible. I would avoid produce boxes because of insects. If you decide you will work
with used boxes, stay with the same size. Use only small boxes for books. They get very heavy, very
fast. Remember: the heavier the item, the smaller the box. Packing material and boxes are available. Ask your
sales representative for details and pricing.
3. Always pack dishes on their edge, never flat.
4. Never use printed newsprint to wrap fine china.
5. Use custom-designed boxes when packing fine china and fine clothing. Casual wear can be packed in
boxes or suitcases.
6. If you use professional packers, start securing items in advance that you don’t want packed. Medications,
the owner manuals for appliances not moving, alarm clocks, remotes, phones, and most importantly, coffee
and the coffee maker for move day.
7. Never use duct tape on boxes - use packing tape.
8. Clearly label all boxes on top and side.
9. Only use boxes with tops. No tops make it impossible to stack them properly in the truck. Most moving
companies will not move bagged items.
10. Pack important documents separately to be easily accessible including: children's health records,
passports, family records, insurance information and photo albums.
11. Don't try to get rid of your children's favorite things before the move even if it makes it easier. Kids
sometimes have a hard time dealing with the change of the move itself.
12. For large appliances be sure to check your owner's manual to see if there are any special instructions for
moving the item. Front loading washers require shipping bolts installed during transportation. You might
have received them with the unit. If not, ask your sales representative and they will arrange for service.
13. If you take apart furniture and other items make sure to tape all parts to the main base. The movers can
disassemble and reassemble upon request. Most moving services our hourly and this is an easy way to
save money on your move.
14. Use wardrobe boxes to make closets easier to pack. Each wardrobe box holds about 2 feet of hanging
clothes. After the move ... use them to store your summer/winter clothes to free up space in your closet.
15. Clothes and light items can remain in the drawers. Heavy, valuable and fragile items should be removed.
16. If you have your original shipping boxes for your stereo, computer and or television, use them to pack
these items. If your having professionals pack, they cannot disconnect or reconnect these items so make
sure you have them ready on pack day.
17. Let the professional pack your china and more expensive items. They have the knowledge as well
as liability for boxes they pack. Moving companies are not responsible for owner packed boxes.
18. Clean out closets, the attic, and the garage as soon as you decide it's time to move.
19. By law, a moving company can't transport hazardous materials such as gasoline, bottled gases and other
flammables, ammunition or explosives. Your local Fire Department may be able to assist with hazardous
20. Avoid mixing items from different rooms in the same box.
21. Pack a box of essential items that you will need immediately after the move and make sure it's the last
thing added to the truck.
22. Always pack and unpack breakables over a padded surface.
23. Always tape the top of boxes shut. Don't interlock the tops.
24. Two weeks before the move don't forget to arrange to transfer school records.
25. Make a "survival closet" of things for the last cleanup before you move out -broom, dust cloth, dust pan,
26. Remember to get snacks for move day.
27. Schedule disconnect times for about a week before your move day you don't want to have to pay for
cable, phone or utilities when you aren't even there!
28. Cancel newspapers, lawn services, etc. about a week before the move.
29. Mail in your change of address forms about week before your move date.
30. Clean your stove before you move out.
31. The day before your move, defrost the fridge.
32. Make sure to get enough cash to get you through move day.
33. Take time to say goodbye to friends and neighbors before your busy move day.