Houston Clear Lake Area Movers Here With Some Helpful Tips
Whether you are needing movers to move you locally or long distance; these tips won't steer you wrong.
Now that you have chosen Moving by Design what you do now before our movers arrive is just as important. Here are some of our favorite moving tips and a few moving resources to help this move go as easy and stress free as possible.
- Start packing by crumpling up paper creating a cushion on the bottom of the box.
- Never use newspaper to pack your dishes or precious items as the ink will run, always use clean and non-printed packing paper.
- Small boxes, pack heavy items like books, dishes, candles hand tools and such. Putting heavy items in larger boxes make them heavy to lift.
- Medium to larger boxes, pack light things like decorative pillows, linens towels, lampshades, etc….
- Always pack dishes on their edge, never flat. Wrap dishes individually.
- Even if there is room at the top of the box fill it with crumbled up paper to give it a little more protection.
- Always tape the top and bottom of boxes shut. Use a couple of pieces of tape to close the bottom and top, then use one of our mover’s techniques – making a couple of wraps all the way around the box’s top and bottom edges, where stress is concentrated. Never use duct tape on boxes – use packing tape.
- Only use boxes with tops. No tops make it impossible to stack them properly in the truck.
- Use custom-designed boxes when packing fine china and antiques.
- If you have your original shipping boxes for your television, computer and/or small kitchen appliances, use them to pack these items. If you’re having professionals pack, they cannot disconnect or reconnect these items so make sure you have them ready on pack day.
- Avoid packing items from different rooms in one box. It will make your packing quicker and unpacking a lot easier, too.
- Labeled boxes are great! Clearly label them with their contents and handling (e.g. fragile) and what room they need to go in.
- Use wardrobe boxes to make closets easier to pack. Each wardrobe box holds about 2 feet of hanging clothes. Small light items like pillows, curtains or blankets can be placed on the floor of the wardrobe box if there is extra space. After the move ... use them to store your summer/winter clothes to free up space in your closet.
- Pack important documents separately to be easily accessible including children's health records, passports, family records, insurance information and photo albums.
- Cash, jewelry, valuables and personal items should always stay with you.
- Guns, Ammo, and Hunting gear pack them in a locked compartment away from anyone else. Keep yourself and other people safe. Move them in your personal vehicle. Professional movers will not move them.
- By law, a moving company can’t transport hazardous materials such as gasoline, bottled gases and other flammables, ammunition or explosives. Your local Fire Department may be able to assist with hazardous materials.
- If you use professional packers, start securing items in advance that you don’t want packed. Medications, the owner manuals for appliances not moving, alarm clocks, remotes, phones, and most importantly, coffee
and the coffee maker for move day. Make sure it’s the last thing added to the moving truck.
- If you disassemble furniture and other items make sure to tape all parts to the main base. The movers can disassemble and reassemble upon request. Most moving services are hourly and this is an easy way to
save money on your move.
- Clothes and light items can remain the dresser drawers, heavy, valuable and fragile items should be removed.
- Empty the refrigerator of all its contents at least 24 hours before move day.
- For large appliances be sure to check your owner's manual to see if there are any special instructions for disconnecting/reconnecting and moving the item. Most times our movers will disconnect and reconnect appliances.
- If your attic is actually a finished room with easy access, like a loft our movers will remove items from there. We treat an attic the same as any other room in the house.
- Donate any unwanted furniture before move date. Here is a link to one of our favorite well deserved non-profits
- Drain outdoor equipment: water hoses, propane tank from BBQ grill, gas and oil from lawnmowers.
- Bundle long garden tools, fishing poles and like items together.
- Some items may be special and fragile that can require crating. Like expensive artwork, antiques, mirrors, statues, marble or glass tops. If you have questions about crating please give us a call.
- Make a "survival closet" of things for the last cleanup before you move out with a broom, dust cloth, mop and household cleaning items. Or if you prefer to leave it to the professionals here is a link to our preferred cleaning company.
- Schedule disconnection times for about a week before your move date like cable, phone or utilities.
- Contact insurance companies, banks, credit card companies to give notice of new address.
- Mail in your change of address about one week before your move date or register online. Here is the link to for the United States Post Office for online change of address registration.
- For more packing tips and questions please feel free to give us a call, we are always willing to help. (281) 648-6683
- Take time to say goodbye to friends and neighbors before your busy move day.
For some tips on packing as well, check out our interview on Texas Homes for Sale here!
Moving By Design are the perfect Pearland, Friendswood, Clear Lake, and League City movers in the area. Contact us today for a quote!